Pope Francis

Friday 24 July 2015

The practice of Humility - 43

Without God, you are unable to do anything good; you would stumble at any step; the least temptation would overcome you.  Thus, acknowledge your weakness and impotence to do good; remember that you need God’s help for every little action you perform. With these thoughts, keep yourself inseparably united to God, as a child who, not knowing any other refuge, clings to his mother’s bosom.  Repeat with the royal prophet: “Were not the Lord my help, I would soon dwell in the silence of death” (Ps 94:17); “Look toward me, and have pity on me, for I am alone and afflicted” (Ps 25:16); and, “Hasten, God, to rescue me; O Lord, come quickly to help me” (Ps 70:1).  Finally, thank God always with all your heart; thank him above all for the protection he gives you; and ask him that you may never lack the help which he alone can give.

J. Pecci (later Pope Leo XIII)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be published only in exceptional circumstances