Established in 1541, the Church of Mary Immaculate Conception is one of the earliest churches built in Goa. Located at the heart of Panaji, this majestic church is a prominent landmark of the city. The great bell at the church is acclaimed as the second largest bell in the world. Known as the Bell of the Inquisition, this bell was previously a part of the Church of Our Lady of Grace in Old Goa. The main altar dedicated to Mary Immaculate is flanked by two altars on either side. The left altar is dedicated to Jesus Crucified while the right one honors Our Lady of the Rosary. At the side of each altar is a marble statue, one of St Peter and one of St Paul. The Chapel of St. Francis Xavier, located to the south of the main altar, houses a glass-encased statue of him. On 8th December every year, devotees flock to the church in large numbers to attend the Feast of the Immaculate Conception. The feast is a celebration of the conception of Lord Jesus by Mother Mary.